Federal Skilled Trades Program

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

Express Entry is an online application system managed by the immigration department of the Government of Canada i.e. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Through certain Economic Immigration Programs of Express Entry, IRCC selects and communicates with qualified and skilled workers and helps in fulfilling the labor market requirements of Canada.

The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is one of the immigration programs managed by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) via Express Entry System. This program is designed specifically for qualified skilled trade workers seeking permanent residence in Canada.

To apply for this program skilled workers must meet the minimum eligibility criteria, which include work experience, language proficiency, and education.

Minimum Requirements

Work Experience

Before submitting an application to IRCC, skilled workers must have at least two years of full-time paid work experience (or an equivalent amount of part-time work experience) in a Skilled Trade Profile (Skill Level “0,” “A,” or “B”).

It is mandatory for a skilled worker to have:

  • A valid job offer from a Canadian employer (full-time and paid) for at least one year, or
  • A certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial, territorial, or federal authority in Canada.

Language Proficiency Requirements

When it comes to immigration, language proficiency is critical. According to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the minimum score requirements for Express Entry’s Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) vary depending on the language module, i.e.,

  • For Listening, and Speaking: Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5
  • For Reading and Writing: Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4

Education Requirement

If earned within Canada

  • For Skilled Workers who attended qualification from school/ college within Canada, a diploma/ degree from the secondary institution (high school) or post-secondary institution is required.

If earned outside Canada

  • If the Skilled Workers attended qualification from school/ college outside of Canada, an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Report from one of the ECA Designated Authorities, for the purpose of immigration is required.
  • ECA Report showing earned education is equal to a diploma/ degree from a Canadian secondary institution (high school) or post-secondary institution.

Have Query?
Request a Call Back

Recent Express Entry Draws

Request a call back

Let Experts Work On Your Dream Application

One of the Best Visa and Immigration Consultant in India

Request a Call Back


Australia logo
USA Flag
United States
New Zealand flag logo
New Zealand

Join Our Newsletter

We’ll send you updates and special offers if you enter your email address.

Request a Call from
Immigration Experts Now!